Millions of local branches near you
 
About

Where do all those great New York State apples come from, and where do they go? Learn these and other interesting facts about our industry.

New York’s national rank in apple production

New York really is the Big Apple

New York is the second-largest apple producing state in the country. Only Washington State produces more apples than the Empire State. Perennially, Michigan ranks third; Pennsylvania and California round out the top 5.

(Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, annual Non-citrus Fruits and Nuts Summary)

Average annual production

That’s a lot of apples!

New York State averages 29.5 million bushels of production annually.

(Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service Non-citrus Fruits and Nuts Summary, various years)

Growing regions and acreage

There’s a local branch near you

New York State apples are grown on about 55,000 acres, in six major production districts around the entire state:

  • Champlain Valley
  • Eastern Hudson Valley
  • Western Hudson Valley
  • Central
  • Lake Country
  • Niagara Frontier

(Source: USDA 2007 Agricultural Census)

Top 10 apple-growing counties are: 

  • Wayne
  • Ulster
  • Orleans
  • Niagara
  • Clinton
  • Columbia
  • Monroe
  • Orange
  • Onondaga
  • Dutchess

Grower numbers

Meet your local grower

There are approximately 694 commercial apple growers in New York State.

Industry employment

We grow jobs, too

The New York apple industry provides employment for thousands of New Yorkers, both directly and indirectly:

  • 10,000 direct agricultural jobs (e.g., growing, harvesting, packing, etc.)
  • 7,500 indirect jobs involved with fruit handling, distribution, marketing and exports
  • Thousands of other indirect jobs including agricultural supplies (equipment, crop protection and services), financial services and apple processing

Crop utilization

Check out where all those apples go

On average, 13,250,000 bushels (53 percent) are sold as fresh-market fruit. The remainder, on average 11,750,000 bushels (47 percent), are processed into juice, cider, canned products including sauce, slices, pie filling and other processed apple products.

(Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service)

Top 10 varieties

Top New York state varieties

Our state grows and markets more commercial varieties of fresh-market apples than any other region in the country. The top 10 varieties in terms of production are: McIntosh, Empire, Red Delicious, Cortland, Golden Delicious, Rome, Idared, Crispin, Paula Red, and Gala. (For a full list of the top varieties grown in New York, visit the Varieties section.)